Why does the permit application require a site plan?

The City of Jenks requires a site plan for both outdoor and indoor shelter and safe room installations.

Outdoor Shelters

Outdoor shelters cannot be placed within the setbacks from property lines required by the zoning code, nor can they be installed within easements on the property, such as utility or drainage easements. These easements can typically be found on a copy of the mortgage plat, or by contacting the City of Jenks. The Jenks Zoning Code also requires that all shelters be placed in the rear yard of homes. The site plan for outdoor shelters must show property lines, the home, and the intended location of the shelter, with accurate dimensions from the shelter to the property lines and any easements related to your lot. This is usually accomplished by sketching the information onto a copy of the mortgage plat but can be drawn or printed on paper by the applicant as well.

Indoor Safe Rooms

Indoor safe rooms require a site plan showing the intended location and size or dimensions of the safe room, along with dimensions to the nearest walls on all sides. This information can be drawn onto a copy of construction blueprints or sketched accurately by the applicant on paper.

Show All Answers

1. Which types of safe rooms and storm shelters require a permit?
2. Does the City of Jenks allow storm shelters and safe rooms to be installed for residential purposes?
3. Can I have a safe room installed in the floor of my existing home in a garage, closet, etc.?
4. Who acquires the permit?
5. How long does it take to get a permit?
6. Where do I get a permit application?
7. Why does the permit application require a site plan?
8. What if I don’t know all this information that the permit requests?
9. What inspections are required during the installation of my storm shelter or safe room?
10. Who calls in the inspection?
11. Why are inspections needed?
12. What else should I do when having a shelter or safe room installed?
13. What is the summary of required inspections?